This page includes resources developed by the GP Infant Feeding Network which can be downloaded and used, unaltered, in their original form by healthcare professionals to support GP education and patient care.
GPIFN Guide to Essentials when Supporting Breastfeeding Mothers
GPIFN Guide to Essentials when Supporting Breastfeeding Mothers Click here to download the ‘GPIFN Essentials Guide’ in PDF format, which contains embedded hyperlinks to online resources. It is intended to be a simple guide to assist GPs in providing good quality of care to breastfeeding mothers. It can be printed as a double-sided handout. **Please note this guide will be updated soon (August 2019)**
This document is intended to provide general guidance and is not intended to be medical advice for individual cases.
This guide was a collaborative, voluntary project produced by a group of GPs, infant feeding and maternity specialist members of GPIFN.
Credit to: Andy Hood for graphic design
- UK Infant Feeding Survey 2010:Incidence, Prevalence and Duration of Breastfeeding see sections 4.2.3 and 6.3 regarding maternal concerns about ‘insufficient milk’
- NICE CKS: Breastfeeding Problems- Low Milk Supply Last Revised January 2017
- Infant Sleep Information Source (ISIS Online): Information for Health Professionals
- Borra C, Iacovou M, Sevilla A. New Evidence on Breastfeeding and Postpartum Depression: The Importance of Understanding Women’s Intentions. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2014;19(4):897-907.
- Brown A, Rance J, Bennett P. Understanding the relationship between breastfeeding and postnatal depression: the role of pain and physical difficulties. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2015;72(2):273-282.
- Chaput K, Nettel-Aguirre A, Musto R, Adair C, Tough S. Breastfeeding difficulties and supports and risk of postpartum depression in a cohort of womenwho have given birth in Calgary: a prospective cohort study. Canadian Medical Association Journal Open. 2016;4(1):E103-E109.
- RCGP Perinatal Mental Health Clincal Toolkit
- The Breastfeeding Network Drugs in Breastmilk Helpline
- The Breastfeeding Network: If Breastfeeding Hurts
- National Infant Feeding Network (NIFN): Statement on Thrush December 2014
- NICE CKS: Breastfeeding Problems- Nipple Damage Last Revised January 2017
- NICE Guideline (IPG149): Division of Ankyloglossia (Tongue-Tie) for Breastfeeding December 2005
- NHS Choices: Tongue-tie
- NICE CKS Mastitis and Breast Abscess Scenario: Management- Lactating Women Last revised August 2015
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medcine Clinical Protocol #4: Mastitis Revised March 2014
- NHS Choices: Breastfeeding Help and Support
GPIFN Infant Feeding Survey 2010 Infographic
GPIFN Infant Feeding Survey 2010 Infographic Click here to download the ‘GPIFN Infant Feeding Survey 2010 Infographic’ in PDF format. This infographic summarises some of the statistics from the 2010 UK Infant Feeding Survey (Authored by the Health and Social Care Information Centre, IFF Research).