A National Network of Primary Care Professionals
and Supportive Colleagues
Advocating for Improvements in Infant Feeding Practice
The GP Infant Feeding Network (UK), also known as GPIFN, has developed this website as a clinical resource for General Practitioners (GPs) working in the UK. The website was developed as an independent, voluntary project by UK GPs with assistance and input from colleagues working in infant feeding, maternity and early years.
The website can be used as a basic reference for learning more about infant feeding issues that may present to the GP. It also signposts to further information from trusted independent sources.
The intention is to help GPs in the UK easily find evidence based information on infant feeding which assists their practice and enables them to complement the work of those supporting healthy infant feeding. We are not suggesting new work for GPs, or that GPs take over the responsibility for infant feeding, but rather that the information here can help GPs improve the effectiveness and quality of their own patient care in this area, which may ultimately also reduce GP workload.
- Clinical infant feeding issues
- Issues relating to maternal health
- The safety of drugs in breastmilk and specialist prescribing information
- Lactation Support and Infant Feeding Support Organisations in the UK
- Suggestions for clinical resources and for the GP Practice which can help support the families of young children
- Online learning, events and research which may benefit the GP interested to learn more about infant feeding
Throughout the website we have also included quotes from mothers to illustrate the potential impact of improving GPs’ knowledge in this area.
The website is primarily intended for use by UK GPs, but other healthcare professionals may also find the content useful. Healthcare professionals interested in joining the GPIFN online discussion forum can visit the GPIFN Facebook Page for more information and follow on Twitter @GP_IFN
We are grateful for constructive feedback on how to improve this website as a resource for GPs and healthcare professionals, and your responses to our brief survey will inform its further development.
Please click here to feedback on the website.
The GPIFN Website Team:
- Dr Clare Macdonald (General Practitioner)
- Dr Louise Santhanam (General Practitioner)
- Dr Rachel Barnes (General Practitioner)
- Dr Jenny Boyd (General Practitioner)
- Dr Marie-Therese Lovis (General Practitioner)
- Dr Sarah Little (General Practitioner)
- Dr Jane Raja (GP Specialist Trainee)
See the ‘About GPIFN‘ page for more information.